*Verified Gluten Free & Verified Purity Tested:
Verified Gluten Free means that the product has been tested to ensure that gluten levels are below 20 parts per million (ppm), the FDA-established level for food carrying the gluten-free label. Our test results average < 5 ppm for gluten.
Verified Purity Tested means that each lot of every incoming ingredient has been tested for the presence of microbiological pathogens including Salmonella, Listeria, E. coli O157:H7 and Staphylococcus aureus.
To see Certificates of Analysis (COAs) showing test results for recent lots of product, visit: http://edisongrain.com/product/organic-black-eyed-peas/
Stuff to know:
- Fiber rich
- Good source of iron, folate, manganese, vitamin A
Directions for use:
- Pre-soaking black eyed peas for four hours or overnight will significantly reduce cooking time. Cover with 2 inches of water and allow for the beans to expand in the bowl. Prevent fermentation in hot weather by putting the beans in the refrigerator while they soak.
- After soaking, place beans in a colander and rinse under cold water.
- For each cup of soaked beans add 3 cups of water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce flame to medium low for 10 minutes, skim off and discard any foam.
- Cover and lower heat and simmer on low for approx. 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Hold off adding seasoning to beans until tender. Adding at the beginning will hinder the beans from cooking properly.
Country of origin: USA